Friday, May 7, 2010

Themes and Motifs: Fate

I decided to do fate as the theme for this blog post. I saw Clash of the Titans during spring break and the intro to the movie was talking about all the stars pre-determining fate and everything being set way before time even began. I personally do not believe any of it, but because it is a very standing out theme in the play and I understand it I decided to blog about it.

The Chinese animal symbol that I am based on my time of birth is a monkey. Weird. My zodiac symbol is Gemini. Also very weird. The planets I have personal control over are Mercury and the Sun. I possess creative potential and enhance my impression on others by wearing 'the finest attire'. My lucky colors are copper and gold. It just gets stranger and stranger. I don't care at all about any of this, and hardly any of it fits me! I like to think I am creative, but I am not a monkey (?) and I don't wear 'the finest attire', I don't plan on owning any planets, and my favorite color is blue. But how does this fit into Romeo and Juliet?

In the prologue it says "A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life" (1.0.6) and this says right from the beginning that they will have bad luck together and that they just aren't the right fit for each other. But a good quote from scene three would be where Romeo says "I doubt it not; and all these woes shall serve/For sweet discourse in our times to come." (3.5.52-53) He is finally realizing that his fate has already been set for him to be banished from his true love. I think that just because I am creative and that is what my horoscope says doesn't mean all of them are true for everyone. In the same way, Romeo is hoping that what has supposedly been pre-determined he can switch back the stars to do what he wants them to do. Romeo also says to Friar Lawrence, "Ha, banishment. Be merciful, say 'Death'" (3.3.13) His star (if he is one) is simply being shot out of a cannon in the exact opposite direction that he wants to go. He would rather just end his life and get rid of the tormenting that he is going through.

That is all. Again, I don't believe anything of the star-stuff, but it is kind of funny to look at. I found out I am born on the same day as Andy Griffith!

No comments:

Post a Comment