Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Essay writing skills

      I will say this first: I love the Gilman Method! It has been SO helpful! I like to be extremely organized and have everything completely ready to go, with CD's and CM's and transitions, before I start typing. The Gilman Method is perfect for that!

      I was very scared at the beginning of the year for essays. I had no idea how long they would be, what I would write about, and how I would think of enough ideas. But as we started doing short timed writes, the group essay, and finally the Great Expectations essay, and now this, it sort of worked it into me. I have been able to annotate knowing that later on I am going to have to write an essay. Some days annotating is just to get my homework done, but when I see a good idea I try to remember what color it was so I can use it later. (I use several colors of sticky notes) I have also been able to find a good motif with two sides (light/dark, strong/weak), and explain how those develop a theme. I like doing that because 1. it makes 3 easy paragraphs and 2. It keeps me from repeating commentary. The commentary used to be very hard to think of, but it has become easier and easier ans I have been learning more and more.

      This essay has been more fun to write that a nuisance because I have a very clear understanding of what I want to do for the 3 body paragraphs. On the 'B' list is:

1.Transitions may be poorly used, rough, or lacking.
I think my essay flows pretty well, but there aren't that many transitional words between 'chunks' and CM's. (Yet!)

2. Failure to use present tense always.
I use it almost always, but I think there are a couple of things like 'was' or 'were'. (In progress!)

Other than that, I think I have done pretty good on my essay! Again, I would not be able to do this without the Gilman Method! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment